Here’s a recipe I was experimenting with. It’s an adaptation from a children’s baking book I own, and quite frankly, they turned out awful when I followed the original recipe. So, I experimented and after a little of this, a little of that – POOF. All yummy. This recipe is no-flour (although not vegan as it has an egg) and the batch is relatively small. They do dry out quickly though, so make sure you eat ’em fast or store them well. You can likely omit the yolk, but I found they weren’t sticky enough to roll out without it.
They were apparently a hit as there isn’t a single one left in the house, and I was asked for “more, please!”. I don’t even have a picture of these because they went just that fast.
As in all my recipes, T = Tablespoon and t = teaspoon. Big T, little t.
Lemon Almond Cinnamon Yummies
- 1 1/2 c ground almonds
- 1 1/4 c sugar (I used white but brown would work)
- 1 t cinnamon (I’m pretty generous with my cinnamon, so feel free to go big)
- 1 lemon
- 1 egg, separated
- bit of lemon juice
- Mix together the ground almonds, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Grate the zest from the lemon and mix into the dry mixture.
- Beat the egg white until light and fluffy, and fold into the dry mixture and then add the yolk.
- Add lemon juice if required… the dough should be moist but not sticky.
- Roll out to about 1/2″ thick and use a cookie cutter.
- Line on parchment covered sheet and bake at 400° for 7ish minutes. The cookies will puff a bit and then go golden brown. Watch them closely.
- Option: drizzle jam or make a an icing using lemon juice and icing sugar.
Yields about 18-24 cookies.