Ross and I had a big Talk not too terribly long ago. We talked about Money, about how we have some and how we’d like to have some more of it, and how the stuff we do have needs to be tracked carefully. We took a giant big step and got a JOINT ACCOUNT! which is probably small potatoes to most of you but this is the first time in the 10+ years we have been together (other than a failed attempt a few years ago that was basically an account for me that Ross would give me cheques to deposit into) that we have a joint account.
So, I also signed us up for mint.com. Have you heard of this site? It is now owned by Intuit (who owns Quick Books, who I dislike intensely) but comes highly recommended by lots of people like the Globe and Mail and the National Post and all sorts of other money-centric sites. Anyway, you add all your accounts (including things like mortgages and stuff) and it tracks your expenses and you can set budgets and blah blah blah. It has an iPhone and an Android app. So, we have been rigorously monitoring our spending and HOLY HANNAH we spend a lot of money on groceries.
I know many people swear by menu planning as a way to reduce the cost of your food. So, Ross and I are going to give it a shot. It’s hard to know exactly what a family like us should be spending on groceries in a month… I googled it to see and got a huge range from $500-$1000. There’s always outliers who claim they can feed their family for $200 a month but I know that’s not realistic. So, my goal is about $200 less than what we’re currently spending.
So we sat down and planned our week of food and here is what we are doing:
- Sunday: we had BBQ hamburgers and salad
- Tonight: we are having curry prawns on rice – we’re using up some sweet potatoes and a jarred curry sauce for this one
- Tomorrow: I’m out for a late afternoon meeting and then am meeting up with some friends, so I will grab some quick sushi and Ross and Kale are going to have falafels, using up some leftover pitas.
- Wednesday: Will be one of our big family meal nights, so BBQ chicken with Greek salad and new potatoes
- Thursday: I’m at the market so Ross and Kale will have pasta while I grab something from the market
- Friday: we have a staff BBQ to go to so I am OFF THE HOOK!
- Saturday: we’ll have a family favourite – pizza!